The New York City Internship Program in Government and Public Affairs is coordinated by ETR Internship Program and operates on CUNY college campuses. Internship faculty on each campus provide students with guided and rigorous academic coursework to produce a theoretically grounded, yet practical understanding of New York City government and public affairs. Students are placed throughout the five boroughs, in governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations. Students are able to network, gain office experience and begin to grasp the culture of public service professionals.
All majors may apply; eligibility and academic requirements vary at each campus.
Eligible students may register for the internship seminar and earn academic credit. The internship runs for the length of the fall and spring semesters and includes attendance at the CUNY Forum, a panel discussion broadcast on CUNY-TV (Channel 75, NYC-TV) on a different policy issue each month of the semester.
Students intern 10-15 hours per week.
Students attend a weekly seminar.
Students attend three CUNY Forums.
Students contact College Faculty Coordinator before registering for the course.
All majors may apply [Please see your Campus Faculty Coordinatoror (CFC)].
The ETR Internship Program office assists in identifying and securing student placements.
- Kirsten Gillibrand
- Charles Schumer
- Yvette Clarke
- Joseph Crowley
- Hakeem Jeffries
- Carolyn B. Maloney
- Jose Serrano
New York State Senators:
- Leroy Comrie
- Jesse Hamilton
- Velmanette Montgomery
- José Peralta
- Gustavo Rivera
- Diane J. Savino
- Toby Ann Stavisky
New York State Assembly Members:
- Rodneyse Bichotte
- Michael Blake
- Marcos Crespo
- Maritza Davila
- Herman D. Farrell, Jr.
- Carl E. Heastie
- Latoya Joyner
- Walter T. Mosley
- Francisco P. Moya
- Félix W. Ortiz
- Victor M. Pichardo
- Diana C. Richardson
- Robert J. Rodriguez
- Nily Rozic
- Luis R. Sepulveda
- Michaelle C. Solages
- Latrice Walker
- Brooklyn– Eric L. Adams
- Manhattan– Gale A. Brewer
- Bronx– Ruben Diaz Jr.
- Queens– Melinda Katz
- Staten Island– James S. Oddo
New York City Council Members:
- Laurie Cumbo
- Julissa Ferreras
- Vanessa L. Gibson
- Melissa Mark-Viverito
- Deborah Rose
- Ritchie Torres
- Jumaane Williams
Office of New York State Attorney General
District Attorney’s Offices:
- Richmond County D. A. – Michael E. McMahon
- Kings County D.A.- Ken Thompson
- NY County D.A. – Cryrus R. Vance Jr.
- Bronx Family Court Victim Services Office
- Queens Adolescent Division Program
- Queens Family Court Victims Services Office
- Surrogate’s Court of NY County
Office of the New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio:
- Community Affairs Unit
- Communications Office
- Office of Management and Budget
Office of the New York City Comptroller:
Bureau of Asset Management
Office of the New York City Public Advocate: Letitia James
- Metro North Commuter Railroad Operations
- New York State Division of Parole
- Federal Aviation Administration
- U.S. Customs Service
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. Department of State
- Community Mediation Services
- Crown Heights Project/ Project Peace
- Cypress Hills Local Development Corp.
- Jamaica Service Program for Older Adults
- John D. Calandra Italian-American Institute
- Pratt Institute Center for Community and Environmental Development
- St. Nicholas Neighborhood Preservation Corp.
- Center for Immigrant Rights
- City Project Homes for the Homeless
- Human Rights Watch
- Justice Works Community
- Legal Aid Society
- NY Public Interest Research Group
- Victims Services Legal Project
- Brooklyn College – Lay Advocate Program
- Center for International Service
- College of Staten Island
- English Learning Center
- Pleasant Plains Community Study
- Queens College CUNY Watch
- Economists Allied for Arms Reduction-ECAAR
- National Assoc. for Drug Abuse Problems
- National Federation of Credit Unions
- NOW Legal Defense Fund
- Rights Watch
- The Welfare Law Center
- Permanent Mission of Jamaica to U.N.
- United Nations Association of America